A Postdoctoral Fellowship is, by definition, temporary, so it's never too early to start thinking about the next step.
Whether you're going on the academic job market or seeking opportunities outside of academia, I'm available to help. If you'd like to schedule an individual career counseling appointment, just shoot me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org). On the academic side, I can help you polish all your academic job materials (CV, research statement, teaching statement, cover letter), and on the non-academic side, I can help you transform your CV into a clear and effective résumé.
Ideally, you should begin your postdoctoral training by discussing your research and career plans with your Faculty Advisor.
- Prepare for your first meeting using the Initial Mentoring Meeting Template.
- Use this worksheet, originally developed by Stanford University, for subsequent progress meetings.
Explore your options
Careers in Academia
- The “Academic Culture” section of the Chronicle of Higher Education includes several articles related to life as an academic.
- Read through:The Academic Job Search Handbook, by Julia Miller Vick and Jennifer S. Furlong, Tomorrow’s Professor by Richard Reis, and more.
- Review our past events, including Going on the Market.
Careers Beyond Academia
- Science Careers contains an impressive database of articles describing a variety of scientific careers.
- is an excellent site that all postdocs at Harvard can access. Nonacademic career discussions and information for humanities, social science, and science and technology PhDs and ABDs.
- Read through: “So What Are You Going to Do With That?,” Finding Careers Outside Academia by Susan Basalla and Maggie Debelius; Alternative Careers in Science, edited by Cynthia Robbins-Roth; The Guide to Nontraditional Careers in Science by Karen Young Kreeger, and more.
- Review our past events, including Overview of the Biotech/Pharma Landscape in Greater Boston, Breaking Into Biotech in Boston, Jobs at the NIH, Careers in Science Education and Outreach, Tips for Breaking into Science Education and Outreach.
- Check out our events calendar for programs showcasing a variety of careers for PhDs and postdocs.